Dental Assistant II
Dental Assistant II
Under clinical supervision of a Dentist and under administrative supervision of the Director of Health Services, provides a variety of basic and expanded preventative and restorative dental care services to patients. Assumes a leadership role with the Dental Assistant (DA) staff, acts as a professional role model and works to provide high quality dental care and hygiene education to patients. This job class is treated as FLSA Non-exempt.
- Mentoring: Mentors Level I DA staff so they attain the technical and customer service skills along with experience necessary to perform to the fullest extent possible within their scope of practice.
- Leadership: Provides senior leadership to DA staff and provides input to other dental team staff regarding program and service improvements that will benefit the Community.
- Clinical: Provides chair-side assistance duties for the Dentist in all phases or restoration, prosthodontic, surgical, endodontic and periodontal treatment. Must be fully functional in all aspects of the job within 6 months of obtaining advanced (“expanded function”) DA Certification.
- Provides fully functional services within 6 months of obtaining advanced, “expanded function”, DA Certification.
- Assists with all routine, advanced and specialty procedures including dental examinations, oral surgery and general dentistry.
- Works with varnishes, sealants, dental films and impression models.
- Provides compassionate care for all patient age groups, especially children, youth and elders.
- Performs routine prophylaxis and topical fluoride treatment assigned by the Dentist.
- Operates dental x-ray equipment to take intra-oral and extra-oral radiographs.
- Processes and mounts radiographic films.
- Restores teeth after cavity preparation by the Dentist.
- Operates mechanical (eg. ultrasonic scaler) and hand instruments to remove calculus.
- Provides patient education and instruction in prevention of oral diseases and post-service and operative care.
- Maintains professional knowledge regarding new procedures and emerging issues in oral health.
- Cleans, packages and sterilizes all dental instruments.
- Utilizes autoclave and ultrasonic cleaner.
- Takes primary dental impressions for study model, pours stone and trims model.
4. Administrative: Acts as Receptionist. Answers phone calls and schedules patients.
- Pulls and files medical records.
- Maintains supply levels and requisitions supplies for the dental clinic.
- Participates in meetings and trainings with Phoenix Indian Medical Center (PIMC) and Phoenix Area Office and other dental-related organizations as required.
- Miscellaneous: Performs other job related tasks as assigned by the Dentist or Director of Health Services.
- Education and Experience: Graduation from an accredited Dental Assistant (DA) program and 2 years full-time experience as a Dental Assistant I.
- Must have advanced training and certification in expanded functions for Dental Assistants.
- Certified in CPR and First Aid or receive certification within six months of hire date.
- Equivalency: Any equivalent combination of education and experience that will allow the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job may be considered.
Underfill Eligibility: An enrolled Community Member whom closely qualifies for the minimum qualifications for a position may be considered for employment:
- Special Requirements: Must be able to stand for extended periods.
- May be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
- May be required to lift materials up to 25 lbs.
- Employees in, and applicants applying for, jobs providing direct services to children are subject to the “Community Code of Ordinances”, Chapter 11, “Minors”, Article X. “Investigation of Persons Working With Children”.
For more information, contact Christine Hawn at 602 788-5890 ext 123 or email at email@example.com
Interested in knowing about potential job opportunities that you may be interested in? By applying to this job, you agree to be added to our email list to receive information about possible job opportunities applicable to your skills and interests.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.